Friday 15:30~18:30 (at Vladivostok time)
Course Name: Understanding K-Entertainment : Korean Visual Culture
Prof. Seung Kwan No (Hanyang University, KOREA)
■ Course Description & Objectives
This class offers students in depth look at Korean Entertainment industry, especially visual entertainments such as drama and popular music. Korean entertainment has become global commodity. Global audience embraces Korean cultural contents in diverse forms. In class, we’d like to bring many forms of Korean entertainments; cinema, drama, animation, games and K-Pop, on the table and analyze it from many perspective; industrial, cultural and historical.
■ Things to be achieved through this course are roughly described as follows;
1) General understanding of Korean Entertainment industry.
2) Expose to diverse K-Entertainment genre.
3) Diversification of viewpoints on the criticism of specific K-Entertainment Contents.
30% Class Attendance
25% Mid-term Quiz and Paper
25% Final Paper and presentation
■ Weekly Plans
- Class Orientation : Offline Class -> in class meeting
- Introduction to K-Entertainment : Many Perspectives
- [K-Cinema] 1 : Introduction to Korean Movie Industry
- [K-Cinema] 2 : Development of Korean Cinema
- [K-Cinema] 3 :K-Cinema and it’s cultural influence
- [K-Drama] : K-Drama, first frontier of Korean Wave
- [K-Drama] K-Drama in Korea and in the world
- Midterm — Presentation Paper due, Mid-term Quiz
- [K-POP] 1 : K-Pop now! : How K-pop goes world wide
- [K-POP] 2 : Cultural Perspective, How K-Pop evolved
- [K-POP] 3 : K-Pop in the multimedia and social media age
- [K-Animation] Korean Animation : from subsidiary to the main stage
- [K-Animation] Many faces of Korean Animations
- [K-Culture] 1 : K- Entertainment infrastructure.
- [K-Culture] 2 : Games, : mobile and next generation
- Final — wrap up : future of K-Entertainment